In my adult working life I have seen first hand how mean and vicious women can be, especially to other women. Did you ever wonder when and why this behavior started? Well, friends, I have figured out the “when.”
Alivia has gone to the same daycare since she was 3 months old. She only goes 2-3 days a week, but she has made several
good friends there over the past (almost) 6 years. When she was 4 she started preschool at Assumption school, where she would be starting kindergarten the next year. Now, the daycare does have a preschool, but we thought it would be best for her to go to preschool at Assumption, so that her transition into kindergarten would be smoother. Who knew such a small decision could turn a 4 year old into an outcast? Who knew you had to attend a daycare 5 days a week in order to maintain friendships?
I shouldn’t be so dramatic because I suppose her becoming an outcast didn’t happen instantly at that time, but it has been more of a slow progression. The worst part for me, is that Alivia adores these girls at her daycare, and they can be downright mean to her.
What? What’s that you say? How can 5 and 6 year olds be so mean? Let me tell you! In the past 3 month Alivia has:
- Received what I have lovingly coined “hate mail” in her backpack
- Been excluded from a girl’s birthday party who was included in Alivia’s Libby Lou birthday party last year
- Been kicked out of a talent show routine while we were on vacation
- Been told her outfit didn’t match (trust me, it did match!) and that brown was a boy color
- Been made fun of for riding a bike with training wheels. As a side note, now that her training wheels are off, some of her “friends” have asked to ride her bike, and Alivia has happily shared.
- Been excluded from what her friends were playing, with the reason of “This is a 6 year old activity, and you’re only 5!”
The list could honestly go on and on. My point is this: When do women turn into mean, conniving bitches? 5 years old people, 5 years old.