Saturday, September 19, 2009

Boys on the Run.

This weekend is the Harvest Festival in Howard City, yeeehaww!  Um, yeah.  I wish I could have taken pictures of some of the sights and scenes around town, but I figured it might be too rude.  Let’s just say we had to wade through body odor and cigarette smoke everywhere we went.

This morning was the 5K run.  Shawn and my Dad decided to train for this run immediately upon witnessing Hillary and I kick ass at the Baby Food Festival Run.  Shawn is a runner from waaaay back, he was All-American in college, and claims his nickname was “The Hammer.”  I don’t believe him, but that’s just me.  Now my Dad has never ran in his life, well, except maybe when he was being chased or chasing something.

DSC_0598 Here they are before the race.  I think my Dad was nervous at first, but then he got excited!

DSC_0609 Shawn finished with a time of 22:51.

DSC_0611 My Dad came in at 27:13.

Shawn got 2nd place (out of 3, hehehe), and my Dad got 5th (out of 5) in their age groups.  Shawn got a medal, and my Dad was a little bummed out that he didn’t.  Even without a medal, my Mom and I were so proud of my Dad!  What a huge accomplishment at age 56 to start running and finish your first race with a time of 27:13! DSC_0619

My Dad did take a photo op with the medal though!

DSC_0620 After the run the guys changed clothes and we headed up to the townie festivities.  There were bounce houses, crafts, a car show, a tractor show, some sort of a yard sale flea market, but best of all the parade.

DSC_0624 Curious George and Ronald McDonald were both in attendance.

DSC_0628 But, our favorite part of the parade (well except for the “princesses) was this:

DSC_0630

It’s good candy too, not just junk like dum-dum suckers and peppermints.  We told the girls we got so much candy that we don’t even need to go trick-or-treating this year!  That went over like a fart in church.

Oh, and as I side note, I created a signature for my blog.  At first I liked it, but now the more I look at it the weirder it gets.  You know how when you stare at a word or say a word over and over it’s like the word becomes deformed and you’re not even sure if it’s the same word anymore.  That’s how I’m feeling about my name right now.  Sometimes it looks like Fami or Pami.  Right now I’m looking at it and I’m not even sure what my name is.

3 comments:

Hillary said...

Super proud of both of the guys!! Your dad is looking like he is in good shape! You never know, he might be hooked now! I'm excited for us all to run a race!

Liked the signature until you said it looked like "fami" and then that's all I could see. Love the new pic. on the blog though, awesome.

Christa said...

Congrats to Shawn and your dad!! That's great. I did a 5k at the beginning of this year and really enjoyed it!

Sazzle said...

Congrats guys!!!!

Side note: I had the exact same experience as Hillary - perhaps you shouldn't have said Fami.