Friday, May 14, 2010

Better late than never.

I know everyone has already posted about their Mother’s Day, but I wanted to save mine for today for my “Feel Good Friday” post.  I had a great Mother’s Day weekend!  The weather was unfortunately cold and pretty craptastic, but we made the best of it.

Alivia actually gave me her present early, on Tuesday when I went to “Muffins with Mom.”  No, I’m not talking about the visor!  Are you ready?  You’re going to love it!

DSC_0145 

Isn’t it the most beautiful birdhouse ever?  I can’t wait to put it up, but apparently I need to mount it on a post.  Hmm…Shawn is not the handiest person in the world, so I’m not sure how that’s going to work out.  Oh, and sorry about the bad picture, I have no idea why Lainey and I both have the same “WTF?” look on our face.

Saturday night Shawn took the girls and I out to dinner at a local Mexican place called “Trini’s.”  The food is always delish, and the Sangria definitely hit the spot!  The service was terrible though, and I actually fired our waitress.  Yes, you heard me.  I fired her.  She took our drink order and then didn’t come back for 10 minutes.  Another waitress finally came over asking if we needed more chips and salsa, so I said “Yes, and we need a new waitress!”  I think Shawn was embarrassed, but nobody makes me wait 10 minutes for my Sangria!

On Sunday morning Shawn and the girls gave me another gift, which was also really special.  It’s not so much the gift that’s special though, but the story behind it.  First, here is the present:

clock

I’m not sure if you can tell from the picture, but it’s one of those really big wall clocks.  I had a clock similar to this, but it stopped working and we never got it fixed.  Several months ago I showed Shawn this clock at this store and he was basically like “Uh-huh, yeah that’s nice.”  In other words, he wasn’t listening.

But, it turns out someone else was listening.  When Shawn asked the girls what they wanted to get me for Mother’s Day, Lainey reminded him of the clock, and insisted that they get it!  Can you believe it?  This made me smile, especially since for the last 20 years I have been helping my Dad buy gifts for my Mom.

It was also perfect timing (haha, no pun intended) for the clock, because guess what?!  My new furniture is coming on Saturday!  I’m so excited I could pee my pants!  The only downside is that we are without living room furniture for a few days because my cousin, who bought our old set, came and picked it up tonight.  Oh well, more room to fall off ride my bike, right?!

I hope everyone has a great weekend, and had something to feel good about this week!  To link up and play along with “Feel Good Friday,” just click on the picture below:

button-2

29 comments:

mama's smitten said...

That is a feel good post! What a nice suprise since you didn't think anyone was listening!

Jessica said...

You and your girls are so gorgeous! And I love your sassyness..."I fired our waitress!"...I love it! A woman who knows what she wants...ALCOHOL!

AussieMumma said...

Thats so sweet! Love the clock :)

Tyly said...

I love the whole post. You and your daughter don't have a "WTF?" face in the picture - you're all gorgeous! And what a sweet surprise with the clock!! I can't wait to see your new furniture! - so that means you have to take pictures. :)

Meghan said...

What an awesome clock - I love that your girls are tipping off your hubby with ideas! So glad you had a well-deserved celebration!

Liz Mays said...

I'm so glad the kids gave your hubs the reminder about the clock because it's gorgeous and a super gift!

I love that colorful birdhouse!!!

Christa said...

Love the birdhouse...too cute! And I'm hoping to start up with my Weigh in Wednesday's eventually..I have been bad and have not been following through with it! :/

Melissa said...

Hayden has been wanting a bird house. In one of his Sid the Science Kid movies there is a bird house - so now he wants one (but a bird would have to come live in it - I'm not sure if that would actually happen).

That's great that the girls remembered about the clock!

It sounds like you had a great Mother's Day!

Natalie said...

Great news about the furniture. But please don't pee your pants. Put on some depends first..

Beautiful clock. How sweet for your girls to remember. I wonder if they know they're only setting themselves up for YEARS of gift buying for their dad?

Ange said...

Don't feel bad for firing your waitress, I do it kinda often. I am worse than you though, because if I have to fire someone, then I insist to be waited on by the manager for the rest of the evening!

Laura and Ryan said...

How cute about Lainey remembering what you wanted! Having daughters is awesome :)

Anonymous said...

I love that clock and it is just even better that Lainey remembered! Now you will always look and that and be reminded of her thoughfulness!!!

Also, the bird house is GORGEOUS!!!!!

Amy Lynn said...

Sounds like a great Mother's Day to me!!! How's the bike riding going?

Sara McCarty said...

Love the clock. Love the birdhouse. Love the sangria. Awsome Mother's Day!

And now I'm convinced that I'm going to have to have children in order for my husband to buy me cool presents that I want. He never listens either!

Lindsey said...

Love that clock! And that pic of you guys is so cute!

Claire said...

Way to go on firing the waitress - I would have done the same thing, and my husband would have been embarrased too. Love the birdhouse and the clock - don't you just love when they get you what you really want??

Amanda M. said...

Oooh, post pics when you get the new furniture. I am a big fan 'o new furniture. And I want some. And since I can't get some now, I need to live vicariously through you. ;)
Totally cute pic of you & the girls!

LWLH said...

What a sweet Mother's Day you had and girl I am with you on firing people...Big Man's gets embarassed but their is this little thing called customer service that some people just don't have.

J said...

Good for you! Our server ditched us last night and I was so pissed! I waited and waited and waited before finally gettting up and going to the server station and refilling my own drink. The manager walked up and said "excuse me did you not read the sign?" I said, "excuse me, give me better service!" G says we are never eating there because I emberassed him, pahlease!

I love the birdhouse and the pics of you and the girls. I think it is awesome that she was listening and helped daddy buy you such a nice gift. I can't wait until my girls do the same for me. I use to help my dad too.

TILTE said...

"Yes, you heard me. I fired her."

<3 it.

d.a.r. said...

Hahaha I love that you fired your waitress. That is so something I would do, and I'm sure it would just totally mortify Z. Oh well :)

And gorgeous clock, way to go girls!

Kelly and Sara said...

I love when someone is "not listening" but then it turns out someone was! Its sounds like a great Mothers Day

Jen said...

So so sweet; cute picture too! :)

purplume said...

That is so beautiful that the clock gift has so much thoughtfulness attached to it. XD

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful Mothers Day!
Love that you fired your waitress, LOL!

Lindsey said...

The best gifts are totally the things that you mentioned that you liked and somebody remembers. How sweet that your little girl remembered!

Unknown said...

I have a small collection of birdhouses, but they are not handmade and nowhere near as gorgeous as yours. SO SWEET! I love the clock, too.

I enjoyed hearing about how you fired that waitress, too. YOU go girl!

Tracie said...

How sweet that she remembered what you wanted! I'm jealous of your new furniture. Must see more pictures.

MrsDixon said...

So sweet that she helped with the perfect gift idea! I'm loving that clock!