Monday, May 10, 2010

Monkey Minute

pixieprayers

This week’s Monday Minute is being renamed “Monkey Minute” in honor of that adorable little monkey in the picture.  She is the daughter of another blogger, and last week at just 16 months old she was diagnosed with cancer.  You can click on her picture, to be taken to her Momma’s blog.  Please visit her, follow her, and find it in your heart to pray for their family!

Ian tailored this weeks questions specifically for Monkey Minute, so here we go:

1.  How old do you act?

I really can’t put a number on it.  A not so wise man once told me “You’re only young once, but you can be immature forever.”  I’m not saying I’m immature, but I definitely spend my fair share of time joking around and acting redonkulous.  If you don’t believe me, ask my boss about the time I jumped out of the blanket warmer at him, and quite possibly made him pee his pants a little.

2.  As far back as you can remember, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I have actually wanted to be a nurse since I was in preschool!  I even have proof.  When my Mom and I were making a display for my high school graduation open house, we found an “All About Me” book from preschool.  One of the questions was “When I grow up I want to be a  _____ .”  As neatly as a 4 year old can write, I had printed “Nurse.”

3.  If you were to write a book based on your life, what would the title be?

“This isn’t what I expected.”

4.  What's something that you do that's considered "childish" by most?

I didn’t know how to answer this one, so I asked my husband.  His answer was “you make fun of me, and that’s childish.”  Dually noted.

5.  The last question isn't a question.  Write a story about a time when you or someone you know overcame great adversity.

Wow, hard question Ian!  For lack of a better answer I will use a story about myself, but I don’t know that I consider it “overcoming great adversity.”

After Alivia was born, I was diagnosed with Postpartum Depression.  My OB was a male, and a total douche bag.  He gave me a 30 day prescription for (I think) Paxil, and said when it was gone if I didn’t feel better to call the psychiatric hospital.  I am not even kidding.  Well, when it was gone I didn’t feel better, but I wasn’t about to call 1-800-CRAZY either, so I did nothing.  To make a long story short, my PPD went untreated until my second daughter was born.  That’s 21 months, but who’s counting?

I had switched doctors when I was pregnant with Lainey, and with lots of encouragement and support from my new doctor (and my husband!) I started medication, and started attending a support group.  The support group and the lessons I learned by going through this situation were truly invaluable.

Last Saturday I even did the “Out Came the Sun” run, which was to raise support and awareness for women suffering from postpartum depression.  I honestly did not want to do the run…it was cold, rainy, and I had only ever done one other 5K before.  I did it though, and am so glad I did.  I was so proud of myself, not just for running, but for everything I had overcome and for my 2 beautiful daughters waiting at the finish line!

DSC_0127          (Yes, that’s right, I’m rockin’ another visor!)

I hope you enjoyed this weeks “Monkey Minute.”  Please feel free to play along, and click over to Ian’s blog to link up.  Don’t forget to visit Momma’s Pixie Dreams where you can give Monkey and her family lots of love and support!

30 comments:

Shell said...

I'd never heard of that event- what a great cause! It's a hard thing to admit to.

Claire said...

Praying for that sweet little one! Way to go on the run, it is a great thing to be aware about. Love that you got rid of the first doctor, and I find it hysterical that your "1-800-crazy" shows up as skypeable (word?!) on your blog - I may need to keep that number handy!

AussieMumma said...

Good on you. Thats awesome, and yes I would say that it is overcoming adversity! Go the 5k! I am hoping for a 10K in August.. but ughhhhh... SO unfit right now!

Meghan said...

Congrats on the run! Love that your girls were waiting for you at the finish!!!

Melissa said...

This is a lovely post you did! I think that you definitely overcame adversity - or at the very least a great hardship. Good for you!

I too asked my husband about what I do that's childish... he just said I often act like a child and say silly things: like ridonculous.

And that is really cool that you always wanted to be a nurse. Seriously... VERY neat!

I also wanted to admit that I copied some of your wording for the "Monkey Minute" intro and exit. I didn't know what to write and you did an AMAZING job with it. I hope that's okay... if not, I'm sorry and I can definitely change it.

Tyly said...

I LOVE that you used the word redonkulous. That is a part of our everyday vocabulary.

What a great cause for the 5k! Congrats on the run!

Jessica said...

You.go.girl! That's truly a neat story. One of those where it makes a full circle and puts the biggest smile across your face!

AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

Good for you on the 5k...I think PPD is often swept under the rug and considered shameful...so kudos for bringing light to it!

PS, I say ridonculous too!

Amy Lynn said...

So I read and then scrolled, and I paused when I came to the picture. My first thought - Ha, look at her rockin' another visor! And then I saw your caption... LOL

Ian said...

Thank you so much for your linkage and support

Heidi said...

I love that they were there waiting for you! This is one of my favorite posts!

Heather said...

Good job on the run and nice to meet you.

Christa said...

What a neat story! Congrats in the 5K!

Liz Mays said...

I can appreciate what you did on the run to awareness for PPD. I suffered from it too after my second baby. I really just wanted to throw the kid out my plate glass window SO bad!!!! Obviously, I didn't. lol

Natalie said...

So inspiring.. Love how they were waiting for you. I wish PPD got more press. It's one of those things that we aren't warned about as pregnant women. My grandmother told me to expect a few crying spells or the after-baby blues. I often wonder how many women have been left untreated simply b/c no one talks about it.

Sara McCarty said...

I'll say a prayer for that beautiful baby. How horrible. Thanks for sharing about your PPD. I'm surprised that there aren't more people speaking up about this and getting the word out for others. Great job on spreading awareness! And you look great at the race!

LWLH said...

Bless that little babys heart, she will def. be in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of that group either. What a wonderful cause! So glad you changed doctors too. Who would ever call the psychiatric hospital?? Weirdo!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I am SO sorry you had to go through that. You would think that in this day and age doctors, even male ones, would be more enlightened! And of course I'll send prayers up for that precious little munchkin and her parents!

Heather said...

You look so cute and fit in your running gear!

I love the story about you jumping out of the blanket at your boss. LOL. I love people like you, who don't take life TOO seriously.

Hope you had an amazing Mother's Day! You deserve it.

Ally said...

Love the title of your book. Adorable photo! I think it's awesome how all of us bloggers have come together to support Michelle and her beautiful Monkey!

FourthGradeNothing.com

Cole Franke said...

29 and holding- such a cute blog name! and such a cute blog. :)

nicole visiting from
http://lettersfromcoco.blogspot.com/

Jessica said...

I love this post! Thanks for sharing #5 with everyone. You look amazing in that photo.

And hooray for nurses!

TILTE said...

Runners ALWAYS impress me. The only place I've managed to run is to the refrigerator during a commercial break.

TWO visors in one week?!?! Your daughter may have started a new trend!

Tyly said...

Awww, your poor mama! LOL.

I read that your Shark lasted a few years, right? Don't tell me mine is going to crap out soon after teasing me with its awesomeness... {yes, it's a word!}

MrsDixon said...

What a great event! Beautiful girls!!!

Anonymous said...

So were they upset you didn't want to wear their visor?

Good for you to do that run - what a great cause! Glad you had a great day!!!

Unknown said...

Tami,

I've never heard of a run for this cause---I love it! So proud of you and the photo is priceless & so cute!

;-)

YOU GO, GIRL!

Corrie and Phil said...

Great post, Tami!

Laura and Ryan said...

I'll pray for the little girl you mentioned.

I love the book title you said..."This isn't what I expected." Same here!