Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wandering Wednesday...

Back in April I posted several pictures which I took along I-75 on our trip to Atlanta. This was one of those photos:

DSC_0050 Who could forget the giant Jesus?

Well, friends, I am sad to report that giant Jesus (known in Ohio as “Touch Down Jesus”) is no more. That’s right, a few weeks ago he was struck by lightning and burned to the ground. My husband was the first one to tell me about this, but then one of my blog readers (I’m so sorry I can’t remember who!) also emailed me about the story. When I posted the picture in April so many of you were enthralled by it, so I thought I’d share the story with you:


After Googling Touch Down Jesus for this post, I found several comments and posts by some people claiming it was a sign from God and others claiming it was an act of Satan. What do you think? Me? Well, I think it was an act of nature.

19 comments:

Charbelle said...

Look at those power lines and trees all around and it's taller. I think it was an act of nature just waiting to happen!!

Ange said...

What were they thinking making the thing out of styrofoam in the first place? I am sad for the loss of the people who found inspiration in it, but to me, it was just creepy.

Melissa said...

I'm going with "act of nature" - goodbye "touch down Jesus."

Mrs. Pick said...

Act of Nature! You put a metal a structure in water! Umm, it is bond to be struck by lighting! There is a comedian names Haywood Banks and he has a song about the Giant Jesus. Its called Butter Jesus, I believe.

Yankee Girl said...

It drives me nuts when people have to think something like this is a sign of some sort. Mother nature is one tough ass lady and she does what she wants, not what God or Satan tells her to do!

I vote for act of nature!

Erin said...

I would say act of nature for sure ha ha!

Amy said...

That? Is totally crazy! Holy Crap!

Shell said...

Act of nature.

Hillary said...

I don't know how I feel about it, but it just makes me kind of sad. I'm going to go with mother nature because it will make me feel a little better.

Unknown said...

I live off I-75. Did I ever tell you that?

Liz Mays said...

That was just nature, nothing else. But, they're going to rebuild it!

Anonymous said...

wow, I have never seen something like that!! I guess it could have been any of those options and I do feel that God controls nature so who knows?

Heidi said...

I don't think God is violent. I don't think He threatens. I don't think He is scary.
A statue struck by lightning? Now that is violent, threatening and scary. So I'm with you!
P.S. If God is worried about us, which I'm guessing He must be, I think there are other, better ways of letting us know.

Nikosmommy said...

Act of nature...totally. But I do find the massive Jesus very interesting!!! (only in America!!!)

JennyLee said...

I'm with you on the act of nature! lol

Tracie said...

It was inevitable. His hands are giant lightening rods.

Claire @ Completely Claire said...

You know the purology has been wonderful. I use the purple bottle which is great for colored hair b/c it conditions it VERY well! Living in Oklahoma can cause some major damage on the hair...very hard water! It takes me six months to use a whole bottle, so I think it's worth the money! :0)

John said...

I still kind of think that you photoshopped that ginormous Jesus. If not, that is (was) my favorite building of all time. Was there a restaurant in the head? Thanks for the posts!

Lindsey said...

Sad day for touch down Jesus!! Ironic act of nature, that's what I say.