Thursday, October 7, 2010

Feel Good Friday: Ga-Ga for Gaga

Last week I found out that the one and only Lady Gaga is coming to Grand Rapids in March!  I didn’t even have to think about it, I was so there and I would do whatever it took to get there.  Seriously.  I mean, she’s like Madonna.

lady-gaga

Occasionally Shawn and I have an “in” when it comes to concert tickets because his company has 10 seats to every event at the VanAndel Arena.  He found out about Lady Gaga roughly the same time I did and he sent me a text saying, “Do you want to go see The Lady Gaga?  Tickets are $175, ha!”  Ok, why does he have to call her “The” Lady Gaga?  I think he’s just doing it to piss me off.  And it’s working.  Anyway, I text back saying “YES, I want to go…I’ll sell plasma if I have to!”

Long story shorter, he put in a request for the tickets and according to him, they were as good as mine.  Well, as good as mine and Stephanie’s.  But then, two days later he tells me we didn’t get them!  Wha wha what?  This was devastating.  I had already told everybody (and I mean everybody) that I was going. 

Shawn hates Lady Gaga, so I figured he could care less whether I got the tickets or not.  But, I was wrong.  That night he told me he found a presale code, so we could get the tickets for sure before they even went on sale!  Fist bump!!  But, we found there to be one snafu.  You had to buy the tickets with a credit card, specifically a Citi-Bank card.  We don’t have credit cards.  Well, we do, but we don’t.  Shawn wanted to put them in a block of ice when we stopped using them, but instead I sealed them up tightly in an envelope and put the envelope in my underwear drawer.

Picture this:   There I was at the computer with my fabulous tickets in my virtual Ticketmaster cart, typing in all my information when I told Shawn to go retrieve the credit card.  I don’t know if you’ve ever bought tickets online before, but there is a little clock just tick-tick-ticking away in the corner.  When that clock is up, the tickets are gone and you have to start all over again.  It’s very sad. 

Me:  “Are you coming with the card?  I’m running out of time!”

Shawn:  “Yes!  I have it!”

(I think it took him a long time because he was excited to be in my underwear drawer.)

So, I type in the information and hit “purchase.”  Invalid card.

Me:  “What the?  Why won’t it work?”

Shawn:  “Shit, it’s expired!”

Me:  “Find another one!  The clock is ticking!”

Shawn:  “I think there’s one downstairs in the cabinet that fell off the wall.”

Me:  “Great.  Good luck finding that one.”

(Shawn runs downstairs and comes back up waving another card.)

Me:  “Thank you baby Jesus!  Oh no, we’re running out of time!”

Again, I type in the information.  Invalid card.  Tick Tock, times up.

Me:  “Why???!!!” (in a Nancy Kerrigan tone like when she got clubbed in the knee)

Shawn:  “Oh, that one’s expired too.”

Me:  “I’m never going to get them!!”

Shawn:  “Hold on, I think there might be one more in the cabinet.”

Success!  There was a card, and it wasn’t expired!  Again, I type in everything, and the clock starts ticking.  Invalid Card.

Me:  “What the hell is wrong now?”

Shawn then calls the 1-800 number on the back, and I hear the guy on the other end say “Sir, we sent you this card over 3 months ago, why are you just now activating it?”

Me:  “Tell him, Hello!!  We didn’t know Lady Gaga was going to be coming to town!  Hang up the phone, time is ticking!”

 

So, Shawn hangs up.  The sale finally goes through, and all is right in the world.  This makes me feel very good, but I felt even better when I opened my mailbox today to find these:

ticket

 

Now I just have to find a safe place to keep them until March.  Hmm…underwear drawer or freezer?

 

Happy Friday everyone!  Don’t forget to head over to The Girl Next Door and link up!

MyLogo2010copy

25 comments:

Stacie Jean said...

Love it!! I'm so jealous you're going to "the" Gaga! :) Good for you guys for being sans the credit cards....!!

Kate @ When Hello Means Goodbye said...

dont tell where you hide them, i might be tempted to come break in your house and steal them!

have fun!

Kelsey Claire said...

I am thinking that I so might have flown up for that. It is going to be amazing. I'm sure of it!

Hillary said...

That is going to be awesome!!!! How fast did the tickets sell out?

So do you only use cash? I don't know if I could handle that.

Nikosmommy said...

Getting tickets to the most important concert of the year is serious and important work. Well done Mama!

Ange said...

We do not have credit cards any more either, so I feel your pain. Well, we have the lines of credit still open, but we do not have the actual cards... I am sure you know what I mean.

Let me tell you what, it was a real bitch when we were moving because some companies REQUIRE you use a credit card, and not a debit card.

I am so glad that you are going, wanna borrow Alex's Lady Gaga costume? I am sure it will fit!

Cristy said...

Holy crap...that is AWESOME that you're gonna go see her. Stop worrying about where to put those tickets and focus on what you're gonna WEAR to this event! She'll be looking for people wearing veggies or something like that I'm sure.

p.s. Would it be too dorky to say that it seems as though you've had a bad romance with credit cards in the past? Sorry...wow...that was bad.

-Lauren said...

So exciting! My brother got married this weekend and I was so compelled to take the dj's mic and rap the rap portion of Pokerface. Love me some Gaga!

MommyLovesStilettos said...

I am jealous!! Kate and I wanted to go but the only tickets left for sale were OUTRAGEOUS!! I couldn't justify spending $200 a ticket!

I can't wait to hear all about it!

Sara McCarty said...

That's awsome! I'm so jealous that you're going to GAGA! You're going to have so much fun. And you have to promise to take at least 6 millions pictures! I hear the fans at her shows are dressed just as outrageous as she is! So fun!

Melissa said...

Have fun at Lady Gaga! I think it's cute how excited you are about it!

Claire said...

Bahahah - Nancy Kerrigan cry - too funny! Have a blast at the concert - I hear The Lady puts on a great show! Love how you had hubby running around the house and calling the credit card company! Have a great weekend!

Aimee said...

OMG i am beyond jealous! I never go to concerts anymore. I say its because i want to save money yet i go and do other things and waste money. I needto do better at this whole not spending money business.

Anyway your little credit card scenario was super funny.

dollycas aka Lori said...

HAVE A GREAT TIME after all that work you deserve it but we want full details!!

Dollycas
http://dollycas.blogspot.com/

Yankee Girl said...

The stupid little time ticker always makes me nervous!

I have no idea where my credit cards are hiding. I know they are in my house somewhere.....

Anonymous said...

I'm happy for you. Computers bring their own kind of stress. Glad you made it work.XD

Anonymous said...

LMAO @ THE Lady Gaga!

I'm so jealous..I lurve her! Glad yall were able to go!

Kelly and Sara said...

I went and she was fabulous. check out our blog to see all the pictures!!

The Random Blogette said...

I am so jealous! I have been dieing to go see her! So glad that you were able to find a card that worked! We don't have anything other than our debit card right now but that is ok with me! Less damage I can do!

You better take some pics for us all to see!

Amanda M. said...

I LOVE the Nancy Kerrigan "Why." I totally use that one all the time.

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm jealous. She was up here in Seattle back in early August. But I had a brand new baby, no concert for me. Maybe next time! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

I wish you two lived by us. You would be great nieghbors to have!!!

I am SO happy for you! Have fun at The Lady Gaga - Ha!

Amy said...

OMG! This story is so funny you have me in tears!!
My husbsand wanted to do the same stupid ice trick with our cards in order to get out of debt. In the end we just decided to cut them up. Long story short, we needed one of the cards for a "ga ga-like" purchase and scrambled around to get another card sent ASAP!

Men are crazy!


Ga Ga!!! Yeah!

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

"I'll sell plasma if I have to." - hilarious!

My husband works a few nights a month at Joe Louis (mainly for free hockey), and he worked the Lady Gaga show. He said it was an awesome show . . .and he's not even into her.

You are going to LOVE it!

LWLH said...

I am sooooooooooo jealous!!